Friday, July 15, 2011

New Custom WIP Pics

Yup, you got it - another custom in the works! I also have another one that is currently being "worked on", but his photos will have to wait.

For now, though, some pony cuteness is much needed:


Meet "Harrison Fjord", a Breyer Newsworthy jumper pony turned Fjord! He's had a little feathering added to his hooves, a new mane and a new tail. (yes, his mane is the classic "Punk Rock" look.)

Okay, I will give you a litte insight into the whole "punk rock" thing. My family would occasionally drive past a few places that had a Fjord pony out front by the road. Their forelocks and manes (trimmed or not) always made me and my brothers think of punk rock dudes - so, they became known as "Punk Rock Ponies". I crack up every time I think of the title XD.

Anyhoo, he has a small slot under his forelock so that the browband of a bridle can be slipped easily underneath the hair - cool, right? Mebbe not, but as a performance nerd, I just HAD to do it!





(as stated by Laura Skillern on her blog, "Don't Eat the Paint" - click to embiggen!!)

Unfortunately, while I held him by his tail for his prepping session, his tail - which must not have been well attached - suddenly did this to me:

In case you can't tell (or you've been staring at your computer screen for too long and your eyesight is all blurry) yup - that tail went CRACK and if it hadn't been for the armature in there, little Harrison would have gone SMACK into the cement I was standing on.
So, because the pony was about  to go from almost six feet in the air straight down to his death, I gave him the death grip around his barrel - which was covered in still-wet primer.
I was wearing a glove on that hand, but he now has giant fingerprints in his primer...

Can you guess what I'll be doing this weekend? Yup...more sanding.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job on the mane! The top part where the hair is cut is really hard to express and you did a great job.

Noble Farms Custom Saddlery said...

Yeah, that part was hard - at first I just had a long, square tube of clay on his neck, but I needed the center to be raised like the real Fjords - so I took the tube off, separated a small section for the topmost part off of it, and once I had reshaped the initial square section of the mane, I rolled the other smaller section into a snake and slapped it on. (really easier than it sounds!) Thanks!