Saturday, January 22, 2011

Breyer Traditional Jumping Saddle - FINISHED!!

Okay, IT IS FINISHED!!! (sorry, I sound like Aslan off of "The Chronicles of Narnia")

I wasn't horribly happy with the way the panels came out, and the RDLC tree was a little long for most of my models, but hey, live and learn, right?

 These pics are just the saddle, because the first girth I made was too short - it fit my Newsworthy, if that gives you an idea of size. So, instead of streatching out billets to use the short girth, I was making a longer one: you can see it on the bottom pic.

 See hoe bulky the pommel is? The tree had no cutback area - I made an aluminum tree that had a cutback section, and that tree is the right size for my model's backs.
 I didn't cut enough leather to cover the panels, so I ended up stitching them together instead of gluing - you can see the thread :-( *Sigh* Oh, well, like I said, live and learn.
 My panels look oh-so-pretty from the bottom though! I Love it!

The girth on the right is the first one - for Newsworthy - It not only was too short, it was a bit wide, so I made the one on the left narrower and longer, with a different "overlay" piece...

Any feedback is appreciated!

4 comments:

BeccaG said...

Wow, love the panels and the girths!

Anonymous said...

You already gave yourself all the constructive criticism I would have :)

I love that, like me, you are oh-so-delighted by the way it looks from the bottom. I made a Schleich/LB sized saddle and I was just so delighted with certain angles even if many of my techniques need some improvement.

Keep up the great work!

Noble Farms Custom Saddlery said...

Thanks! I know about the angles - sometimes, I see my models and I just HAVE to get out the camera and get a shot of the angle that best displays the flying mane or flared nostrils - poetry for the eyes!

South Creek Saddlery said...

How do you make the panels? I always have a really hard time with them.