Thursday, January 6, 2011

Repairing a broken billet How-to

So, I worked out a trade deal with a fellow MEPSA shower - my very first English saddle for a Stone ISH custom...but the saddle ha one problem...

A broken billet.

So, once I had the deal set, I went to work fixing the broken lace strap., and replacing the others, seeing as they all wanted to break, too.

Before:


After:

Okay, now this one was simple - I just cut out perfectly measured lengths of lace - six for the three billets on each side. I skived the top half to 3/4 inch off the top and cut the other end into a taper, then used my "hole punch" - metal mechanical pencil - to make the proper holes for it.



I made one hole at the top and one at the bottom, then made six holes between the two. Once I finished the holes, I glued the top 1/2" to the base of the old billets. Once the glue was dried, I put a single stitch in the leather to hold it together - extra strength, since the glue alone wouldn't hold it, and the single stitch wouldn't have held it on it's own.



I simply repeated this for the other five billets and - tada!


So simple! Your saddle is now ready, Ms. Briggs!

No comments: